This is the true status of women according to Muhammad and to Islam. We have
presented this discussion so that no one will say that Islam honors females,
whether they are daughters, single or married.
- We have seen that the father has the right to force a daughter to marry
without her permission. She does not have any choice.
- Muhammad made it lawful for a man to have sexual relationships with a single
woman in lieu of some presents, then leave her without any rights. This is what
is called in Islam "contractual marriage".
- As for married women, the mother of children, Muhammad, in the Qur’an,
commanded men to scourge them (if they show any sign of disobedience) if
instruction, admonishing, and abandoning their beds fail to bring forth any
results. Scholars say that scourging should not lead to breaking bones, but to
be a deterring element. A man scourged his wife and left some marks on her face.
When she complained to Muhammad, he refrained from punishing him and claimed to
have received a verse in which he declared that men are above women and better
than them. Men are their custodians, entitled to discipline them and to deter
them by punishment and beating.
- We also see that a married woman is a slave to her husband; she is his
captive, his prisoner because marriage is a type of slavery. Muhammad himself,
the prophet of freedom, equality and honoring of women said so, as well as Umar
- We also discussed polygamy and how a man is allowed to marry as many as many as four
women at the same time, in addition to what he owns of maid-slaves.
- We have examined also the issue of easy divorce and replacement of wives as
it is manifested clearly in the Qur’anic verses and exemplified by the behavior
of Muhammad, the Caliphs and the companions. This divorce drives away the woman
and her children and propagates corruption in society. Islam does not enforce
any restriction or limitation against it to protect
women, children and society. If a man divorced his wife by uttering three
times, "You are divorced," then he wished to restore her and she agrees to do
so, Muhammad insists that she should get married to somebody else first and
actually have sexual intercourse; then she could go back to her first husband
and her children as Rafa’a’s wife did when she wanted to return to her
ex-husband. Muhammad told her that she had to have an actual marriage and full
sexual intercourse with her new husband, Abdul Rahman, before she could return
to her first husband. Muhammad relied on a clear text "revealed" to him through
Gabriel the angel for this judgment. He said it was revealed that the divorced
wife is not lawful for the first husband until she marries another man (Chapter
- Women in general (as Muhammad declared) are the majority of the people in
hell on the day of judgment.
- They are the cause of evil omens.
- They lack intelligence and faith.
- In regard to inheritance, they are entitled only to one-half of the man’s
- Her testimony in courts and business contracts is equal to one-half of the
man’s testimony and value.
- Muhammad also said that women possess sinister characters.
- Lastly, if a woman walks in front of a man while he is praying, she will
invalidate his prayer and he has to repeat it. Muhammad said that a prayer
would be nullified if a donkey, a dog or a woman pass in front of the praying
The greatest among the companions, such as Ibn Abbas, Abu Zarr, Abu Hurayra, as well
as the Caliphs (like Ali Ibn Abi Talib) have confirmed these statements. All Muslims
know who these famous personalities are and what position they occupy in
transmitting the Hadiths. Such abuses made A’isha scream in their faces, "You have
put us on the same level with a donkey and a dog!"